In today's video-blog (vlog), I give you a few things to think about in regards to managing challenging behaviors. You have to connect 1st and frequently! Without a relationship with a child or individual, your consequences will go flat or only work in the moment. SO...
- Continue to work on calming yourself overall so that you can be the guide who can manage the moment yourself and not escalate with the individual.
- Make time to connect both before and after tough moments. Do not hold grudges. Ensure a connection and a relationship with the person who is having challenging behaviors.
- In the middle of a meltdown/storm, reduce the negative loops. Be the adult, the guide, to NOT engage in the continuation of a negative loop/cycle that is continuing the trauma.
- Connect as soon as the storm seems to be passing
- Provide then and only then appropriate and situational consequences as you see fit.
Questions? Concerns? Comments? Let us know!