I am frequently asked about special interest areas or interests that draw hyper focus for those with autism.
- Should I allow my child to engage in his special interests?
- How much time should I allow my child to engage in his special interests?
- Should I complete stop/eliminate the special interest?
- Can I use his special interest for future vocational pursuits?
- Can I use his special interest for social engagement practice?
In this video,I answer these questions and help you make the decision based on your own child’s/student’s ability to use your guidance within those special interests. If you can elaborate on the special interest, adding ideas of how to think about some aspect new ways, then you can use that special interest for further engagement practice. However, if you cannot, do not compete with that special interest. Just make sure that you make limited time in your child’s/student’s day to engage in it and that they know when it is – then ensure other activities that provide balance.
Let me know if you have questions or concerns and have a wonderful day~